Subject: Bad problems with Amos
From: Robert Bankston <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Amos List)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:00:36 -0600 (CST)

I've recently developed a bad problem and I need some advice/help.  I had
AmosPro V2.something installed on my hard drive (I had it updated from the
older version) but about a week or so ago I irretrievably lost my data
(disksalv won't even bring it back) from my HD.  I've now tried to go back
and use the original disks but they won't work.  After originally
installing Amos, I put the original disks (system, compiler, updater, etc)
away in a safe place and didn't ever touch or use them.  All updates were
performed on the HD or on floppy copies, not the originals but now I can't
get them to work.  Whenever I try to start AmosPro from the system disk
it says:
  Cannot read system files: check APSystem folder
I've tried to perform the V2 update on a copy of the system disk and it
gets about halfway through and gives an error saying that it couldn't
complete the process.  Here is a listing of the APSystem folder for the
original system disk:

Directory "df0:apsystem" on Saturday 29-Nov-97 
AMOSPro_Monitor_Resource.Abk   13946 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:52
AMOSPro_Editor_Samples.Abk   44476 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:33
AMOSPro_Default.Font        2048 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:41
AMOSPro_Editor_Macros         12 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:27
AMOSPro_Default_Resource.Abk    8536 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:37
AMOSPro_Editor_Config      18736 ----rwed 25-May-96 11:05:52
AMOSPro_Mouse.Abk           2224 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:45
AMOSPro_Monitor            11872 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:49
AMOSPro_Music.Lib          12952 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:59
AMOSPro_Editor             34508 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:16
AMOSPro_Request.Lib         4632 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:56
AMOSPro_Editor_Resource.Abk   21500 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:23
Def_Icon.info               2901 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:47
AMOSPro_Compact.Lib         1880 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:43:54
AMOSPro_IoPorts.Lib         3524 ----rwed 31-Mar-93 15:44:03 15 files -
382 blocks used 

For some odd reason I can run the compiler from the disk without any
problems at all but using the system disk or the updater disk don't work.

Here is a listing of the APSystem for the compiler disk.

Directory "df0:apsystem" on Saturday 29-Nov-97
AMOSPro.Lib                98184 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:36
AMOSPro_Compact.Lib         1540 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:38
AMOSPro_Request.Lib          264 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:38
AMOSPro_Music.Lib          12712 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:41
AMOSPro_IOPorts.Lib         3680 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:43
AMOSPro_Compiler.Lib        3952 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:44
Compiler.Lib               29276 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:49
APCmp                      29528 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:54
Header_CLI.Lib              2928 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:56
Header_Backstart.Lib        3436 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:56
Header_AMOS.AMOS             186 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:56
Def_Compiled.info           1122 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:52:57
AMOSPro_Default_Resource.Abk    9302 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:53:01
AMOSPro_CompilerA_Resource.Abk   10216 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:53:03
AMOSPro_Editor_Config      18776 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:53:07
Locate_APSystem.info        2682 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:53:10
Locate_APSystem            20916 ----rwed 19-Jun-93 22:53:14
17 files - 511 blocks used

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is giving me so many problems?
BTW I've tried disabling the HD and booting from the original floppy
system disk and AmosPro won't load at all.  Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks a million.

Robert